Freitag, 8. Mai 2009

First thoughts in Berlin

Berlin 7 May, 2009
I told myself that I was going to start writing a minimum of twenty minutes every day starting with my arrival in Berlin. Well I am here and now I will start writing. There are a lot of impressions that I could write about but the most remarkable thing will have to be first. Seven Years ago when I was last here in Berlin, There was a girl, whom I do not know that I saw several times in the City. Today I saw her again. Am Potsdamer Platz. It might seem strange that I could be so certain that I would recognize a complete stranger after seeing her again across a seven year time span. But I know it was her. The girl is, for lack of a better term, an African albino. I don’t know if that is correct, but it is the only way I can describe her. She had pale white skin and blond hair that did not look as if it had been bleached. Her hair, both today and seven years ago, was braided up into corn rows. And even though it was blond, it wound up on itself in infinitely tight African curls. Her facial features too were unmistakenly African, with a broad nose and beautiful high cheekbones. Her eyes were pulled slightly together–as if there were also an Asian Grandmother as well. Perhaps it is exactly because she was so striking that I am sure that it was the same person from before. I would like to say that she looked older than I remember.

It strikes me just how racist my description sounds. I don’t know what to say in my defense. Is noticing heritage racist? I wouldn’t call her beautiful. Is that assessment related at all to her mixed race? Certainly I have known women from every corner of the world and of every shape and size that I would consider beautiful. I would not consider her ugly–although I have known ugly women from every corner of the world too. She was just–striking–and it was so strange to see her again. Which leads me to my second impression: Berlin is a city of dauer im Wechsel in a constant state of change. The city is always new, and yet always the same. Full of energy, full of youth, Berlin seems to be constantly reinventing itself. But it hasn’t changed at all at its core, I believe, since it was the capitol of the Weimar Republic. Otto von Bismark, The Siegessäule, Rosa Luxumburg, Potsdamer Platz Hindenburg, Döblin, Alexanderplatz, Hitler, Willi Brandt, JFK, Eric Honiker, the wall, Checkpoint Charley, the Ampelmännchen, Brandenburg Gate. Berlin layers one identity on top of the next, adding one to the other; evolving, and never changing.

8 Kommentare:

  1. You're in Berlin?

    And, you're going to be writing 20 minutes every day?

    It looks like I'm going to have to be checking in here a little more often.

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Dieser Kommentar wurde vom Autor entfernt.

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. I don't think your comments are racist at all. Society has made us so hyper-sensitive about race. Our social worker that we used for our adoptions was the perfect example of a non-racist person. She commented on everybody's skin tone as a matter of conversation, like you might about a shirt or shoe style. She was genuinely intrigued by the intricacies of skin color. She certainly was an expert. I think she had more grandchildren of mixed (whatever that means today) race than "white".
    Even you and Mom have commented to me about when I call Aidan a little monkey. I thought long and hard about it and decided I wasn't going to let the possibility of offending somebody's (not yours or Mom's) over-developed sensibilities stop me from accurately describing my children. I have two little monkey's (I called Corbin that before Aidan came along). One is beige-ish and the other is chocolate brown. They both climb and jump around enough to qualify for the description. So it is both fair and accurate. Not racist.
    These are the kinds of things you have to think about when you have mixed race children

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. I may have to take issue with the statement that you have known women of "every shape and size" that you would consider beautiful.

    Love your description of Berlin.

    AntwortenLöschen
  5. wow, comments. I went a year without anyone noticing my blog and now suddenly I have three whole readers. Nate I think you are totally right. When you study liberal arts for 15+ years, you tend to be sensitive to political correctness. You do have two little monkeys, and it has nothing to do with skin color. I am glad you haven't let anyone dictate to you how you should interact with your kids. (I think you do really well with them by the way)

    Harmony--don't think for a moment that any of those beautiful women of all shapes and sizes can ever hold a candle to you (everyone all at once: AAAAHHHHHH. . .) I definitly married above myself and I plan to keep it that way.

    AntwortenLöschen
  6. The problem with answering comments on your blog is that the people you are answering may not ever come back and read them. I just about didn't. Thanks for the compliments though.

    AntwortenLöschen
  7. If I comment on a blog, I frequently check back to see if I get a response. So there

    AntwortenLöschen
  8. Der Kommentar wurde von einem Blog-Administrator entfernt.

    AntwortenLöschen